No on-site lodging is available for this program at this time. Check back soon!
Closest hotels are located in State College. About a 15 minute drive from the training site. Average hotel cost locally is $110 per night.
Multiple bed and breakfasts are also near the training area. Three are within a 20 minute drive
Cooke Tavern Bed & Breakfast
The Lead Horse Bed & Breakfast
Keller House B&B
The Dobson House
Bed & Breakfast at the Rock Garden
- Introduction to the course
- Chp. 1 - Overview of SAR
- Chp. 2 - SAR Systems
- Chp. 3 - Incident Command Intro
- Chp. 4 - Legal & Ethical Issues in SAR
- Chp. 5 - SAR Physiology
24 Jan 20 - Evening 2
- Chp. 6 - Survival
- Chp. 8 - Safety
- Chp. 7 - Clothing & Equipment
- Chp. 11 - Resources
- Chp. 12 - Travel
6 Feb 20 - Evening 3
- Nav Section 1 - Basic Principles
- Nav Section 2 - Maps & Marginal Info
- Chp. 15 - SAR Operations
- Chp. 14 - Background
22 Feb 20 - Full Day 1
- NAV Sec. 3 - Course Plotting
- NAV Sec. 4 - UTM / NGRS
- Search Techniques
- Search Exercise 1 & 2
- Chp. 13 - Tracking
- Night Navigation Problem
23 Feb 20 - Full Day 2
- Chp. 16 - Rescue Techniques
- Basic GPS Navigation w/ Problem
- Patient Assessment
- Rescue Problem
- Written Exam
There are many great restaurants in the State College Area, both local and chain. There are also multiple grocery stores within a 10 minute drive from the training area.
Students are encouraged to plan to have lunch at the class location both full days.
Hybrid Fundamentals of Search & Rescue
Course Dates: 8 Jan 2020 1700-2200 (Online)
24 Jan 2020 1700-2200 (Online)
6 Feb 2020 1700-2200 (Online)
22 Feb 2020 1000-2200
23 Feb 2020 0800-1700
Cost: $150.00 per person
(Text book not included. Lunch included on full course days)
The Fundamentals of Search and Rescue (FUNSAR) course is a 40 hour course and is the second, intermediate level of NASAR courses. It provides knowledge concerning the general responsibilities, skills, abilities, and the equipment needed by persons who are assigned to field operations during a SAR mission.
This first ever hybrid training program will allow you to learn in an interactive online enviroment. The online instructor led trainings will brin an immersive classroom to you. Allowing you to take less time away from home and only be required to travel for one weekend to complete the course!
The FUNSAR course also provides the student with practical exercises in addition to a practice search mission where the students are required to have the proper equipment and stay out in the field during daylight and night time operations. The course content includes topics in three major areas: survival, support, search and rescue. This course is based around the rural and wilderness environments but the material is recommended as a basis for all SAR environments.
FUNSAR provides a common point in training for the new person to SAR and allows them to accumulate the required clothing and equipment needed for SAR operations in their community. The course also provides practical experience during simulated SAR operations and in many cases is an excellent refresher course for the more experienced SAR worker. This common starting point provides continuity during SAR operations and future training of all team members.
FUNSAR is the NASAR course designed to prepare the student to challenge the SARTECH II certification exam, according the knowledge objectives defined in the NASAR certification criteria for SARTECH II.
Who Should Attend:
- Those interested in becoming involved or have just become involved with search and rescue operations.
- SAR personnel who would like to maintain or refresh their knowledge of search and rescue.
- Emergency response personnel who belong to organizations who provide resources and assistance during search and rescue missions.
- Managers of emergency response organizations who want to understand the state of the art skills and knowledge needed by the SAR workers.
- Community members and groups (scouts, hunters, hikers, etc.) that have an interest in safety and preventative SAR operations.
The SARTECH II exam is an additional fee. Candidates wishing to test will upon successful completion of the course will be offered a discounted testing fee.
Weekend Field Exercise Portion to be announced once agreements on the location are signed! Will be in the State College Area.
Quote: "The FUNSAR course I took not only gave me the basic skills and understanding of doing a proper, safe search, but also gave me the confidence to take care of myself and my team members during search operations. The FUNSAR course should be a minimum requirement for anyone wanting to be part of a SAR Team." David Moskowitz, Director Arkansas Department of Health - Division of EMS & Trauma SystemsType your paragraph here.
State College University park Airport is nearby and transportation to and from the airport will be made available. Only transportation to and from University Park Airport is provided.
The airport also has a rental car agency on site. (Enterprise)
Please make all flight arrangements, commercial & private, known so that transportation can be arranged.
"TRAINING FOR CHAOS"
Payment in full is required to reserve your spot in the course. Tuition is non-transferable and is payable by check, credit card, paypal or cash. Tuition covers Instructor fee, textbooks, syllabus, course equipment, and NASAR certification cards. SRTC is not obligated to allow any student to attend a course until SRTC paperwork has been received, reviewed and approved by SRTC. A full refund will be given if we need to cancel the course for any reason.
Payment in full is required to reserve your lodging for the course if you choose to utilize our lodging option.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
If a student cancels out of the course or withdrawals from a course:
- If greater than or equal to 45 days prior to the starting date of the course, SRTC will retain a $55.00 site cancelation fee.
- Within 45 days of the course start date, tuition is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Participants that cancel or withdraw from a course are still responsible for cancelation fees even if payment has not been sent or processed. (Applies if you cancel within 45 days of a course.)
- Failure to cancel and failure to show does not negate any financial obligations relating to the course. SRTC reserves the right to recoup any finances
A full refund will be given if we need to cancel the course for any reason.
Late Payment Policy
Participants that register and choose pay via company check or personal check must submit payment in a timely manner. Payment is due no later than 10 days after your registrations is submitted. If payment is not post marked prior to this date a late fee will be assessed. Late fees will either be invoiced separately or added to any outstanding balance.
- Initial late fee is $35.00
- An additional fee of $10.00 per day will also be assessed if payment is delayed past 14 days from registration and is retroactive to the date of registration.
SRTC & NASAR Student Agreements
(Including Assumption of Risks and Agreement of Release of Indemnity)
A course student agreement will be sent to you upon completion of registration. Please sign, return it and read it carefully as it affects your legal rights. Bring the signed document to the first day of the course or return it via email to Sergeant_RescueTng@outlook.com. If you are a minor, a parent or guardian must sign the document as well. Without a signed document, you cannot participate in the course. SRTC course participants, including minors, will have unsupervised free time throughout the course. Any activities during the free time are not part of the SRTC training program and are at the sole risk of the participant.